Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Quest for a sample

I started out by emailing several companies that I found on ecolect.net. I mentioned that I was interested in receiving a sample of their product. Three of the companies (Novamont/bioplastic film, Soyworks, and Earth friendly moving) immediately responded with a generic email informing me that my request would be processed as soon as possible. A few days later I received follow up emails from Spencer Brown at Earth Friendly Moving and Roy Taylor at Soyworks however I did not receive any follow up from Novamont. Spencer Brown requested a fed ex or ups number in order to ship the sample. I called Spencer the following day and told him that I am a student at the University of Iowa and I need a sample for my environmental design class. He said that he had gotten several other phone calls from University of Iowa students requesting samples and that he needed to speak to my professer. He said that he would be happy to help but he just wanted to know what we intended to do with the sample. I received a similar email from Roy Taylor at Soyworks. He apologized for his fussiness because he wanted to know why I wanted a sample. He stated that the technical information is proprietary and covered by an exclusive commercial liscence for the underlying technology. He then noted that my email account is from the University of Iowa and wanted to know if I was doing research. It seemed like these companies were a little apprehensive about giving out their samples to students.
I decided to start fresh with a company called KTM industries from Lansing Michigan (listed on ecolect.net). They make a product called Green Cell Foam which is used for packing and shipping. I skipped the emails and called the company directly. I spoke with Tim who was extremely helpful and provided lots of information as well as the web address of the company. The website provided lots of information and independent labwork about the sustainability of the product as well as the impact on the environment. I ordered a sample which arrived one week later. I received a huge box filled with all different shapes and sizes of the material along with an information packet. I had several questions as to the cost and process of manufacturing of Green Cell Foam so I gave Tim a call. Again he was very helpful in answering all of my questions and in fact provided more information than was on the website. KTM was the easiest and most helpful company to work with.

No comments: