Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Seventh Generation Journey

It was very difficult for me to find a sample at first. When I started looking online using google.com, I typed in "sustainable materials" in my search and was able to find a MSN site titled Shop Green. Here, I was able to find a list of several different environmentally friendly products that were suitable for the assignment. I chose the first item, Seventh Generation Natural Paper Towels because paper towels are something my roomates and I use a lot at our apartment. I then went to google.com and found the company's actual website. I was instantly attracted to the website, being the color green. It also contained a quote stating, "Seventh generation products have saved 279974 trees and 550891 gallons of petroleum"...I knew they were serious about their stuff. I then retrieved their contact information. I first attempted to contact the company via their Consumer Relations e-mail because I thought it would be the easiest solution. I explained to them my situation, that for my Environmental Design class at the University of Iowa I was required to find a sample of some sort of sustainable material. I waited a few of weeks and never got an e-mail back...a little frustrating. I then decided to call them. The man I spoke to over the phone was kind and assured me that the company could send me a sample and I would just have to pay for shipping. Seventh Generation is in the United States, out of Vermont, so I quickly agreed. My product has still not arrived, so hopefully it will be getting here any day now...

No comments: