Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Adhesives

I was interested in updating my knowledge of adhesives, as my first project required A LOT of glue. My research confirmed what I already knew - there are plenty of friendly adhesives out there (see previous posts) and I was already using some of them in my work. I had various PVA samples on hand, as well as a large bottle I purchased for some of my book art work. I used that glue in my 'cardboard storage unit' project, and contributed the remainder of my last glue bottle to the sample library. PVA is used in many adhesives, mostly for wood-based projects.

As an update to my PVA research:

PVA does emit trace amounts of naturally-occurring formaldehyde, but those amounts are less than the emissions of many of the surfaces that you would use the adhesive on (untreated lumber, etc.). As an example, a veneered wood using PVA adhesive emits LESS formaldehyde than that same wood does when untreated. Fantastic!

No comments: