Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Obtaining BioBag

From my original list of products made from sustainable materials, I decided to pursue BioBag. Specifically, I was interested in the kitchen trash bags that was a part of their line. First, I will give you some information on BioBag as a company and as a product. Then, I will describe how I got a sample and what I discovered about that sample.
BioBag makes 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable bags made from the material Mater-Bi. What is Mater-Bi? It is the first completely biodegradable and compostable bio-polymer ever invented. Mater-Bi is produced by Novamont, an Italian research company dedicated to environmental alternatives to polyethylene-based plastics. Mater-Bi comes from renewable resources of agricultural of agricultural origin, it reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and the consumption of energy and non renewable resources, and it completes a virtuous circle. Mater-Bi can also be printed on as well as colored in bulk using biodegradable Master-batches.
BioBag’s American office is operated out of Palm Harbor, Florida. Some information from their website about their products states that they are certified GMO Free. No polyethylene is used in the production of BioBag. The bags are shelf stable; they biodegrade naturally when exposed to soil and the earth’s elements. They will decompose in 10-45 days. Both fresh and salt water will also decompose the BioBag in 8-14 months.
There is also some specific information about the BioBag kitchen bags. They are to be used primarily for food and other biodegradable waste. Their 3 gallon size will fit most composting pails. BioBag helps to reduce odor because the bag is able to “breathe”, allowing heat and moisture to evaporate. Because of this feature, the 3 gallon bags are great for storing fruits and vegetables in your refrigerator. Besides the 3 gallon size, BioBag also offers the tall kitchen size (13 gallons) as well, which they say will fit most kitchen waste bags. They can also be used for outdoor waste. The only precaution for using BioBag kitchen bags is to keep them in a dry, cool place; extended heat can make the bags feel soft and eventuall split.
When I called to get a sample, I was told I could not get a free sample since I was a student and not with a company. However, they were more than glad to give me a discounted price. I went to buygreen.com and put in a discount code they gave. You cannot actually buy their products from the BioBag website, but they give links to sites where you can. Normally, the price for the 3 gallon bags is $4.59, but I ended up spending about $2-3 dollars. It took somewhere between 2-3 weeks for the bags to arrive at my house. Buygreen.com shipped it in a recycled cell phone box, and the roll of bags did not come in any sort of packaging. I opened the box, and there they were.
The bags themselves feel quite soft to the touch, but they seem to be just as durable as any other trash bag. The 3 gallon size is a bit small. I can’t imagine being able to fit a lot of waste into that particular size. I am sure that the tall kitchen bags would be able to accomodate a lot more. The printing on the bags claims that they are actually produced in Norway, which I am sure contributes to the higher price. When I brought my sample into class, we did a little experiment on it with water. If you pour water onto the bag, within just a few minutes you can see that the bag is beginning to break down. The water goes from clear to a milky white as it begins to break down the bag.
Overall, I was pretty impressed with the BioBag company and product. Some other products they produce that would be worth trying out are 33 gallon lawn and leaf bags, dog waste bags, cat pan liner, and a nature toilet system. If you want to learn more about BioBag and the products they sell, try out their website at http://www.biobagusa.com/.

No comments: